Skip to main content

A new beginning, again

I'm a beginner. Even though I made my first trade back in 1998, I still feel like a beginner when it comes to the equities market. Luckily, two things have happened recently that I can not ignore and which has re-sparked my enthusiasm in trading.

The first event happened in Melbourne. I was there on a business trip and happened to talk about trading with my Uber driver. Turns out that my driver, Mr. S, is very knowledgeable when it comes to technical trading and had been trading Forex for many years. He has created his own way of analyzing charts and trading primarily based on Elliot Wave theory and the MACD (Moving Average Convergence Divergence). I asked him to teach me what he knows and for the past month, he's been diligently sharing his technical trading skills with me over Skype. The guy is a genius and I'm always amazed at how he sees things I don't.

The next thing that happen to me was stumbling across this book titled "Create Your Own Hedge Fund: Increase Profits and Reduce Risks with ETFs and Options" by Mark D. Wolfinger. In this book, the author carefully walks through the fundamentals of options trading while combining it with ETFs. The book teaches a strategy of combining ETFs and options to attain steady growth and beat the S&P 500.

So I have been getting some intense coaching on technical trading from Mr.S and have also finished the book by Mark Wolfinger. Now I've got a broker that allows me to trade options and I'm really eager to try out these new techniques. I've created this blog to document my own journey of becoming a better trader so that others on a similar "beginner" journey may learn from my trials. I'm taking this one step at a time but my ultimate goal is to be good enough to get out of my day job and do something more meaningful in life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Practice Picks

I'm going to start practicing the art of picking stocks. Every week I'll use a simple screener and pick out 3 stocks I like. Then I'll track the performance of those 3 stocks against the rest in the screener and see if they outperformed after one month. Here's there screener setup I've chosen: Market cap: +$2B Select larger companies so they're not as volatile. Dividend Yield: Over 5% I like dividend stocks because even if it doesn't increase in value, I still get paid dividends. Price: Over $20 I feel more comfortable trading over $20 because they seem to be less volatile. P/E: Under 20 I look for lower price to earnings ratios as I don't want to pay for something that's overpriced. Analyst Recommendation: Buy or Better  This is just to make sure that I'm in the same direction as most people who listen to analysts. EPS growth: Positive I like companies that are growing their earnings and project to grow next year as well. Current...

Weekly screener with technical analysis on ABBV, KAR, and XHR

Here's the screener for this week, sorry it's a few days late. There were some new tickers that showed up compared to last week: ABBV, KAR, XHR. The ones that disappeared are: EQNR, PACW No. Ticker Company P/E Dividend Perf Week Perf Month SMA50 SMA200 Recom Price Change Volume Target Price 1 ABBV AbbVie Inc. 19.38 6.24% -2.48% -11.69% -9.56% -16.46% 2.50 68.54 0.42% 9,806,852 84.92 2 BP BP p.l.c. 13.38 6.27% -4.80% -4.53% -5.34% -6.50% 2.50 39.23 1.00% 8,615,171 50.03 3 DOW Dow Inc. 10.40 5.43% 3.64% 6.23% 2.56% -0.99% 2.20 51.52 -0.44% 3,221,517 59.09 4 EPD Enterprise Products Partners L.P. 14.67 5.83% -1.21% 4.72% 4.48% 7.99% 1.50 30.20 0.90% 2,390,716 34.25 5 KAR KAR Auction Services, Inc. 10.76 5.57% 1.17% 7.82% 10.05% 21.51% 2.10 25.13 0.40% 3,211,566 37.45 6 KSS Kohl's Corporation 10.28 5.43% 1.27% 5.20% -4.53% -24.03% 2.40 49.33 1.56% 2,657,516 61.41 7 MMP Magellan Midstream Partners, L.P. 11.24 6.14% -0.73% 5.84% 3.87% 6.06% 2.40 65.42 0.18% 616,603 68...